Social media is an odd area within the field of marketing. Because it is so new to the industry it is often treated with a mixture of trepidation and suspicion.
The truth is we know what works and what doesn’t; it is just a case of doing your research, like any other channel.
If you are looking at adding social media to your promotional mix, here are the places I’d recommend visiting to get tips for using social media marketing .
These are all from articles and guides to make sure you get started on the right foot.
Social Media Examiner
Social Media Examiner is a great blog I’d recommend reading regularly. There are literally dozens and dozens of posts I could link to you would benefit hugely from, but I’ll keep myself to a small handful here:
- 26 tips for getting started with social media marketing
- 21 social media marketing tips from the Pros
- How to use hashtags in your social media marketing
I would strongly recommend taking the time to go through their back catalogue of articles, there are a lot of gems in there.
Search Engine Land
Although mainly focused on search marketing, Search Engine Land occasionally pops up with some useful articles about social media marketing. Two great examples include:
- Analytics for the new social media manager
- Treat your social media strategy like your content strategy
Moz is a blog I linked to in the “How to teach yourself SEO” post, and they produce great content around social media as well.
- 13 social media software tools for marketing your company or clients
- Social media curation guide
- Planning an effective social media strategy
Social Media Today
A great source of regular ideas, tips and inspiration is Social Media Today. This regularly updated blog is full of opinion pieces you can help to develop your social media marketing.
- 16 brands providing inspiration for social media
- How to do a social media competitive analysis
- Social media for business: Get social or get lost
Starting with the all important question “Is social media right for my business?”, BT have put together a useful and practical guide to using social media as a small business which you can download here.
I hope these links help you as you form your social media marketing strategy and ideas.
Before you start, I would recommend you do your research in to best practises, review what other companies are doing and then start slowly.
Launch on one social website at a time rather than all at once and gradually develop your presence on them.